Monday 5 December 2011

The Apprentice, but Donald Trump is nowhere in sight (thank goodness)

My husband bakes bread in his 'other life'.  He returned to his passion of artisan bread-baking about a year ago and now his passion has become volunteering in a local bakery three times a week.  "I'm an apprentice", he said to me this morning.
My response is interesting. I love that word, it could be so many things. So on a scale of possibilities is it:
- how can he be volunteering when he needs to bring home the bacon (although in this case, he brings home loaves of delicious artisan bread)?
- what does this volunteering mean for our other business?
- I'm left with the childcare and housework?
- he wakes me up at 4:30 am when he leaves for his shift?
- volunteer = hero?
- he gets to make new connections in the village we have just moved to while I'm at home?

If I'm honest with myself, there might be a smattering of truth in the above, but actually it's revealed my lack of personal passion.  It's revealed how few boundaries I have around what I really want to do.  In fact, what do I really want?
What do I want to be an Apprentice at?  Maybe I don't need to be an Apprentice, perhaps I'm already qualified.  I just have to nail it down and draw some boundaries around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment